Repaying your HELP Debt when Overseas

Just a reminder that there been some recent, very significant changes which mean that Australian expatriates overseas are now obligated to repay their HELP debt in much the same fashion as Australian residents. These changes apply to both individuals heading overseas, and those already resident outside of Australia. We have summarised the main information items below, and then provide a link to the ATO website:

1. If you live outside Australia, and have either have a Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP) or Trade Support Loan (TSL) debt, you now have the same repayment obligations as those who live in Australia. This applies if you already live or intend to move overseas for a total of more than six months in any 12-month period.

2. From 1 January 2016, you will need to update your contact details through our online services within seven days of leaving Australia. If you already reside overseas, you will need to update your details no later than 1 July 2017.

3. From 1 July 2017, if you are living overseas and earning an income that exceeds the minimum repayment threshold, you will be required to make compulsory repayments towards your debt.

More information about overseas repayments can be found on the ATO website: